Sunday, June 9, 2013

Summer of No Pants Challenge Week Two

I can't believe I am already half-way through The Summer Of No Pants Challenge!  Add that to the fact that I've successfully created two dresses for myself and I am really proud of my accomplishments so far!  







In case you missed it, you can find out more about my first entry into this fun sewing challenge here, and if you would like to help me out with voting for the first week of the challenge, you can find out how in this post.  




I'm actually doing really well with the voting but could use some more votes (one repin = one vote) from my awesome supporters!  (And thank you to those that have voted for me so far, I appreciate it!)





I'll be back with a post on how to vote for me for week two of the challenge later on, after my entry is accepted into the contest.  For now I would like to introduce you to the dress I am submitting for the second week of The Summer Of No Pants Challenge.  It all started when I set eyes on this Orange and White Polka Dot print while browsing Joann Fabric.  





I fell in love with it and for some reason didn't think about how hard it would be to turn a 95% Polyester 5% Spandex sheer Orange and White Polka dot print into a cute dress.  Trust me, this was a CHALLENGE for me.  





I choose the Simply Lovely Dress pattern from Go To Patterns for this dress.  In theory, the pattern is pretty simple, as the name suggests, but throw in my fabric choice and it got pretty tricky. I had to line the entire dress because of the sheer fabric choice, and it was a challenge.  My seam ripper and I became great friends.  In the end I love the dress, so it was worth it.  





There are some great details to this dress that I just love! The dress straps, neckline, and underarms are finished with bias binding that I made myself from white broadcloth.  The front of the dress has a pleated center, giving it a really nice shape at the top.  I think this is my favorite part of the dress.  





The pattern I chose was a FREE pattern, so in reality my dress cost about $6.00 to make, which I think is awesome! In reality, it probably cost even less since I cut off about 6" of the bottom of the finished dress prior to hemming it.  I thought it was just too long for little 5'2" me.  I did purchase a set of two belts from Old Navy to accessorize the dress and break up the top from the bottom.  This dress has an elastic high-waist, and I think the belt was the perfect finishing touch!  

As an aside...did you notice the little lizard on our palm tree in every photo I took?  He was definitely photoboming me every chance he got! 





Thank you for taking the time to come on this journey with me!  I can't wait to share the final two projects with you!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, thank you for taking the time to leave one for us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews