Wednesday, May 15, 2013

DIY "Keys Please" Key Holder Craft Tutorial

I am so excited to share my first craft tutorial with you all since officially returning to blogging!  

I seem to spend more time looking for my keys lately, so I thought having a designated place for them would help me out.  I put together this "Keys Please" key holder to remind me to hang my keys in that place so that I can end my frantic searching.  








Quick Note...I used my Silhouette to cut out vinyl for the lettering, but you could certainly use stencils for the lettering along with paint or paint pens if you do not have one of those handy machines.  As an aside, I have to tell you that I've had a Silhouette for years and only started using it a couple months ago. This is actually the first time I have used it for a vinyl craft project.  Now that I've used it I plan to get a LOT more use out of it, especially with moving into a new home next month. 





Here are the materials I used for this project...


  • Wooden Base (Any shape/size you would like, mine is about 9 & 1/2" wide and 6 & 5/8" tall.) 
  • Acrylic Paints (I used Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Satin in Chamomile and Wild Salmon.) 
  • Coordinating Scrapbook Paper (For decorative trim.) 
  • Scrap Paper (For creating your template.) 
  • Paintbrushes
  • 5/8" Cup Hook Screws (I used 3 for my hanger.)
  • Ruler
  • Pencil
  • Scissors
  • Mod Podge (I used the Orange/Gloss version.)
  • Silhouette Machine OR Letter Stencil (You could also paint the wording free hand if you wish.) 
  • Vinyl
  • Vinyl Transfer Paper
  • Hardware to Hang your Finished Key Holder

Now you are ready to craft!  

To start, grab your scrap paper and your wooden base . Flip your wooden base upside down, on to the top of the scrap paper.  With a pencil, trace around the border of the bottom of the wooden base, as well as slightly up each of the sides.  With my project I traced each side an inch up.  (If any pencil marks transfer to the wooden base simply erase them.)  *I admit I painted my first coat, then did this step, you could do it either way.*





Then, remove the wooden base from the scrap paper, and use a ruler to connect the two side lines.  Now you will have an outline for a template to cover the bottom portion of your wooden base, where eventually your keys will hang.
  



Use your scissors to cut out the template you created.  Place the template over the bottom portion of your wooden base and trim any pieces of the template that are overhanging the base, if needed.  You want a template that will reach the edges but that does not overhang the edges. 




Since your paint will need an hour to dry, set the template aside for now and work on painting your wooden base.  Depending on your color choice you may need to paint more than one coat.  For my sign I did three coats of each color, allowing each to dry an hour before the next coat.

While your paint is drying you can work on creating the decorative trim for your key holder.  At this point, you have verified that your template is the perfect fit.  Place the template on top of your coordinating scrapbook paper and trace around it.  Cut the scrapbook paper just inside of the tracing line you made from your template.  Now you should have your decorative trim ready to go, just to be sure, you can place it over the bottom of your wooden base to make sure that the edges match up.  (Make sure the paint is dry first!) 




Once you have painted your wooden base to your liking you can add your scrapbook paper, or decorative trim, to the base.  Starting at one end of the scrapbook paper use a paintbrush to apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the underside of the paper.  Then, smooth it down onto the wooden base, making sure you are matching up the edges of the scrapbook paper with the edges of your wooden base as you go.  You will want to do an area of about 1" to 2" at a time because the paper will have the tendency to curl.  Repeat this process until you get the entire piece of scrapbook paper adhered to your wooden base.  





Now you will paint a thin coat of Mod Podge on top of your scrapbook paper decorative trim.  You will want to be sure you apply the Mod Podge to all of the edges of the scrapbook paper as well.  Allow this to dry completely before proceeding to the next step.  




I choose to add my Cup Hook screws now, but you could add them after adding your lettering if you wish.  Since I was adding three of them I first determined where the middle of the wooden base was, and added my first screw there, then spaced the other two an equal distance on either side.  





They just twist in with your fingers, easy peasy!  (Just be careful to keep them upright when twisting, rather than at an angle, or they will go into your base crooked.)  




You're almost done!  Now add your lettering using whatever method you would like.  For those that use a Silhouette I used the ld carefree font by ScrapNFonts for my lettering.  Last but not least, add some hardware to the back of your wooden base to hang it from the wall.  





And there you have it, a finished key holder!  Since we will be moving soon I didn't hang mine up, instead it will get packed up with us and be the FIRST of MANY DIY projects to come for the new home decor!  

I hope you've enjoyed this tutorial and if you choose to make a "Keys Please" holder of your own I would LOVE to see it!  Feel free to share them on my Facebook Fan Page!  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, thank you for taking the time to leave one for us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Total Pageviews