~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Gingerbread Caramels Recipe~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What you will need to get started:
- a small saucepan with lid
- 4 qt or larger saucepan
- aluminum foil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 stick or 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Butter a sheet of foil large enough to line an 8 inch-square baking pan allowing 2 to 3 inches of foil to overlap the sides of the pan. Press the foil into the pan and butter any exposed sides of the pan.
- Combine the cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, and ground cloves in a small bowl.
- Combine the whipping cream, unsalted butter, vanilla, and salt in the small saucepan over medium heat. Allow it to warm up jsut enough to melt the butter, then remove the pan from the heat and cover the pan to keep the cream mixture warm.
- In a 4 quart or larger saucepan stir in the sugar, corn syrup, water, and molasses until they form a uniform paste-like mixture. If sugar crystals make their way to the sides of the pan wipe them away with a damp cloth.
- Attach your candy thermometer to the side of the pan and turn the heat just above medium. Continue to heat the mixture to a boil, then cook it until the thermometer reaches 310 degrees.
- Whisk the cream mixture into the sugar slowly. Be prepared because the sugar will triple in size before settling again.
- Stop whisking and continue to cook the caramel to 245 degrees, or cook the caramel to 250 degrees if you prefer firmer caramel.
- Whisk in the reserved spices and pour the caramel into the prepared pan. The bottom of the pan may contain crystallized sugar so avoid scraping the bottom of the pan. Allow the caramel to cool overnight.
- Pull up the foil, lifting the caramel from the pan, then remove it from the foil. Cut it into squares, you may need to spray some nonstick cooking spray on your knife to do this, and then wrap each caramel in wax paper.
Now for the nutritional information, you can skip reading this portion if you would like!
Nutritional Information Per Piece:
70 calories, 3 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 11mg cholesterol, 10g carbohydrates, 0 g protein, 19 mg sodium, and 0 g fiber
For this and other great recipes visit http://www.thekitchn.com/.